Can’t go wrong with a little breakfast for dinner, I say! Usually, for me, that would mean eggs & toast. Oh my god, I love eggs & toast!
But not tonight. Tonight I made wheat berries in coconut milk with blueberries.
I had my wheat berries pre-cooked and pre-portioned, so I plopped a 1/2 cup of them into a small pot, poured a cup of coconut milk over them, added some vanilla and a tablespoon of raw honey. I sprinkled on some hemp seeds at the end.
I had intended on eating this dish cold, like cereal, but I had the chills after training, so I heated it up. I think that was a good decision. The honey melted down into the milk and felt more like a porridge or something. Oh, it was good. Joel was eating a giant bowl of tomato rice soup and triscuits… and I wasn’t jealous… so, that’s saying something!
• Wheat berries are the entire whole kernel of wheat. They provide a lot of fiber, as well as potassium.
• Coconut milk is quite low in calories (45c per cup) and is dairy-free.
• Blueberries (or bloobs, as I call them) of course, are a huge source of antioxidants and super duper flavor.
• Raw honey aids in the digestion of starches (such as my wheat berries!) and of course added some sweetness.
• Hemp seeds are fun little morsels that add a great sprinkle texture. They are high in protein, and contain all nine of the essential amino acids!
• Of course the vanilla extract was just for deliciousness!